Saturday, August 9, 2008

Good-Bye Dolly

What a horrible experience.  No, I was out of town for the hurricane; the horrible part was being out town while my family was in Harlingen during the hurricane.  Not being with those I love as they endured a frightening few days and then to live without electricity for several days following, was so difficult for me.  I wanted to come home, and started to do so on many occasions, but my wife insisted that I stay and finish what I started in Dallas (doctoral seminar only offered once per year).  

God taught me so much in my seclusion in Dallas.  I learned so much about the priority and privilege of prayer.  I re-learned that the most important thing I could do for anyone is to pray.  Not the last thing to be done, but the first - and the most important.  God allowed me to spend quality time throughout the days praying for my family, my church family, my friends, and for the lost in our communities.

I am so thankful to be in a church family that truly loves my family.  They expressed their love so clearly as they took care of my family in my absence.  The storm brought an opportunity for us to see God's love in such a visible way.  The many visits, phone calls, meals, times of help on the house, and the constant encouragement offered to my family helped me in my absence.  I learned to trust the body of Christ, even with my family.  What a great lesson, not easily learned, but life-changing all the same.

Humbly thankful to be a member of the body of Christ.
Bro. Wade