Monday, January 5, 2009

The Future

This morning I drove to church through a thick fog.  The first Sunday of the new year, reflecting on the Sermon, and I could not see 50 yards in front of me.  It was not a fun drive (only about 8 minutes), I had to stay focused, I had to be ready for whatever was in the road in front of me.  

As I neared my destination, the thought of the spiritual comparison came clearly to my mind.  I realized that as we start a new year there are many things in front of us, some familiar landmarks that will not change, and some things that will dart across our path without warning.  I may not be able to see what is going to happen tomorrow, or next month, but I have not been called to deal with those days right now; just the day that I am in.  The days will pass like the yellow stripes in the middle of the road this morning; quickly and with only a few in view.  

For us to stay on the path of righteousness as we move into the future, we must remain focused - every day.  We have an enemy who seeks to destroy us, who wants to harm us, so he distracts us in every way possible.  But, our God loves us and seeks ways to keep us focused on Him and His chosen path for our lives.  We are not told to seek the path, for we are to walk by faith and not by sight.  We are not told to seek the removal of the fog, for the uncertainty of life creates the deep need for faith.  We are not told to seek the removal of the obstacles, for they teach us the value of our relationship with the Father.  We are simply told to seek His face, and in the fog, He is always right beside us holding our hands, guiding us through the future.

The road behind me was not important as I drove through the fog, likewise, my past may be relevant, but it is not near as important as how I will handle the next day.  

Let us release the past to the Lord, praise Him for what He has carried us through, and let us take Him by the hand to lead us through the thick fog of the future.  We will arrive safe, in spite of the obstacles that come our way, as long as we hold the hand of the one who can see clearly through the fog.

Walking by faith,
Bro. Wade