Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Direction in Life

My six year old son, Aaron, was riding in my truck recently. As we were driving down the road, Aaron made a strange statement to me. He said, "Dad, you and Mom need to get rid of those clickers." "What clickers?" He said, "You know the clickers in your truck and Mom's van." I had to think, what is he talking about? "What clickers?" I asked. His reply was confusing, "You know, those clickers that tell you which way you have to turn." I said, "do you mean the turn signal?" He said, that thing that clicks and tells you which way you have to turn. I then told him that the turn signal did not tell me which way to turn, but that I moved the lever to signal which way I had chose to go. He then looked at me a while and then said, "Naw, that's not right."

Aaron had wanted to go to McDonald's for lunch and when the "clicker" told us we had to go home, he was not happy. He was convinced that I would have taken him to McDonald's if I had control of the truck. It makes since, I love him and want the best for him and since he defined what was best for him as McDonald's then I surely would have taken him there if I could have. So, I must not really have control of the car, that clicker must be telling me what to do.

I believe that sometimes we portray this same image on God. We have decided what is best for us and then believe that God would have surely done for us what we wanted if he were in complete control of our situation. So when it does not work out the way we thought we begin to believe that our circumstances dictated what God could do, or we doubt that God really cares, or we just begin to worry and stress out because are not sure why it did not go as we expected.

Just like a six year old boy, we can sometimes develop a skewed way of thinking about things and then assume that we have to be right because of our opinion and logic. But, just like Aaron, we could be very wrong and refuse to believe the truth, because we already have it figured out.

Also, the question has to be asked; who is in control of your life? Does the Lord control your clicker, or do the circumstances of life dictate to you what you must do and where you must go? Who has control of your life?

May you never look at your "clicker" the same again.
Bro. Wade